New, Improved eTutoring - Fall/Winter 2017-2018
The new eTutor system is available to all students who are currently eligible to use The Writing Centre, and now operates within a 24-hour window.
Here’s how it works:
- Access eTutor at http://writing-centre.writ.laps.yorku.ca/enrol/ by scrolling down to the schedule named "eTutor - Writing Centre 17/18" before or after you login.
- Choose an appointment slot, and upload your assignment and/or question(s) any time before the specified appointment.
- You will receive feedback within 3 hours of your scheduled appointment time.
- If you have questions about the feedback you receive, you may upload them any time up to 2 hours after receiving the feedback (i.e. maximum 22 hours after your scheduled appointment time).
- You will receive answers to your questions within 2 hours after that (i.e. within 24 hours after your scheduled appointment time.
You may schedule one eTutor appointment per week, and spaces are limited.
- Feel free to submit outlines, full or partial drafts of a paper, or even general questions related to writing or the writing process.
- When you submit a draft of a paper, please include the assignment instructions, and tell us what you’d like us to focus on. We will provide constructive feedback on any aspect of writing from structure to argumentation to sentence clarity.
- Proofreading and copy-editing are are outside the scope of eTutor (please review the Writing Centre’s policy on editing).
York students taking courses in most faculties can use eTutor for assignments in their courses. The following faculties are not eligible: Glendon, Science, Lassonde, and Consecutive Education.
- Allow yourself enough time before the assignment deadline to consider our suggestions carefully so you can make the best use of them.
- Provide us with all the relevant instructions from your instructor, including the length requirements.
- In the comments section of the appointment booking, tell us what your primary concerns are (e.g., understanding the assignment question, organizing thoughts, formulating an argument, etc.).
- Indicate which section or aspect of the paper you want us to focus on – if you have a preference (e.g., “I’m concerned that my fourth paragraph veers off from my thesis” or “On my last essay, my professor told me I was too descriptive. Do you think this draft is analytical enough?”).
- You will receive feedback on your submission within 3 hours of your scheduled appointment time.
- You can reply to the feedback with questions or comments up to 2 hours after receiving the feedback (i.e. 22 hours after the originally scheduled appointment time).
- You will receive answers to your questions within the following two hours (i.e. within 24 hours of the originally scheduled appointment time).
- Please be aware that we usually read between 1250-1500 words of your draft. If your draft is longer than that, it is best to submit it in chunks over a period of time.
- Log into our online scheduling system
- Scroll down to the eTutor schedule, and book an appointment in any available time slots.
- Attach your document to the appointment form.
- If you have any specific questions or comments about the assignment, click on the "Start or Join online consultation" and enter them in the shared space or chat box.